My students often ask me what is the best way to improve their communication skills. One of the most important tips that I give them is to “chase the English.”
It is important that you be as active as possible in the language you are learning. English is no exception. The best thing to do of course is to live in America or England for at least 6 months (but longer if possible) in order to be truly immersed in the language. Of course everyone can’t do that, so you are left with the alternatives.
What you need to do to improve your English speaking skills is to involve yourself in the language as much as possible. Here are a few ideas:
- Seek out others around you that speak English.
- Form an English speaking group with others who want to improve their speaking skills.
- Read as much English as possible – at or below your language level. Start with children’s books.
- Watch movies in English, starting with your favorite Disney/Pixar film.
- Speak English with your colleagues at work.
There are other things that can be done as well, but this is enough to get you started!
Remember, the English won’t always come to you, so you have to go out there and get it!
Yours in English success!
John L. Brewer